Saturday, 12 July 2008

Close-Up Photography

The company I ordered my step-up ring adapter from, SRB-Griturn, sell adapters which I'd never even considered before. Amongst them are adapters to reverse-mount a lens to a camera body, supposedly for close-up photography. The idea is that you take your lens off the camera body, and reverse mount it to the body using the lens filter thread into one side of this adapter, and the other side fits into the camera where the lens would normally go.

And they recommend you "try it first", by holding the lens in reverse up against the body and taking a photo of something.

Now, here is a photo taken using my Canon 18-55mm lens mounted normally. This is about the closest focus I can get to an object:



After taking that photo, I removed the lens, turned it round, and put it up against the hole in the camera. There are a number of obstacles to overcome here.

  1. You lose autofocus functionality, meaning you have to manually focus the lens
  2. The lens focussing isn't really sufficient in this configuration, so you end up moving the camera backwards and forwards anyway
  3. While holding the lens against the body with one hand, and leaving the other hand poised over the shutter button, you need a third hand to change the lens focus
  4. With the camera so close to the subject, light is an issue. There's not enough of it. I switched on a spot-light to get enough light in
After all that, I managed to take the photo below. This was with the lens rather close to the phone, and the results speak for themselves:



There's a fairly small area which is in focus. This is to be expected, given this configuration, and could probably be improved if I had enough hands. I suspect that is what these reverse-mounting adapters are for; freeing up the hand that is holding the lens, so you can focus with it instead!

Even so, I'm amazed by how close this gets you, and of the image quality resulting from it (fuzzy focus aside!)

No comments:

Post a Comment